You’re hungry, short on time, and vulnerable to unhealthy, processed food. The next time you’re tempted to reach for chips or cookies, try one of these healthy alternatives instead!
1. Ham-wrapped celery sticks. Dip in whole-grain mustard for extra flavor.
2. Bell peppers and guacamole. Look for snack size portions of guacamole.
3. Hard-boiled eggs. Portable, healthy, simple.
4. Beef jerky. Be sure to read the label and make sure the jerky doesn’t have any added sugar, and try to find jerky made from quality beef.
5. Blueberries with unsweetened, whole milk Greek yogurt.
6. Tuna mixed with avocado and whole-grain mustard. Put it on top of a rice cracker, whole grain bread, or eat on its own.
7. Hummus and carrot sticks.
8. Mixed nuts. Be careful of your serving size — about a handful is a perfect amount for a snack.
9. Roasted chickpeas. Prepare these ahead of time. Mix ¾ cup of chickpeas with 1 tablespoon each olive oil, salt, and cayenne pepper. Roast at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes.
10. Whey protein, oats and some almond nut butter (or any nut butter for that matter) this is a personal favourite of mine.
What’s your favorite on-the-go healthy snack?
Tell us what we missed!